Brothers Apart was started by nightmares06 October 24th, 2014 and has been going strong ever since! During the last few years two other writers have been added to the team!
nightmares06 (Heather) has been writing since early 2014, and hopes to make a career out of it one day by publishing her own characters and storyline, something she’s always had in the works while working through high school and college. She currently works full time, has a husband who goes outside in the morning to heat her car up, and a devilish cockatiel named Smaug. When not working or attempting to have a normal life, she’s writing or coming up with new ideas for the Brothers Apart multiverse, which has become a huge part of her life.
neon has been a writer since she was just a kid, back in the late 90s, and her work has come a long way since then. She has grand designs to make a living out of her writing, and is in the process of preparing a novel for submission to publishers. She works full time as a programmer and spends way too much time on computers as a result. Her cat Stormy keeps her company at home. While she has many writing projects in the works at any given time, the Fairy Tales stories never fail to draw her in if she strays for too long.
Chel started writing in her teens as a means to escape reality, and she feels she’s come a long way since the days of crappy self-inserts. Though her passion lies mostly in music and theatre, writing is a fulfilling and therapeutic tool that she hopes will expand her storytelling skills in all fields. She also loves cats and knitting/crochet. She’s always been interested in stories involving significant size difference between characters, particularly The Borrowers, and her stories tend to include such themes. Nightmares06 and neonthebright’s stories were among the first she discovered online that met this interest, and she’s honored to know and write with them. She wouldn’t be the writer she is without them.
Brothers Apart was started by nightmares06 October 24th, 2014 and has been going strong ever since! During the last four years two other writers have been added to the team along with a very helpful assistant!
The main storyline, Brothers Apart, has since sparked a collection of AUs. Each storyline is individual in and of itself, but all tie into the main arc in their own way.
Why don’t you just post Brothers Apart and not all these other stories?
Since Brothers Apart is (mostly) written by myself, there isn’t enough story built up to have a backlog. Due to a falling out with a former beta reader, writing for Brothers Apart was frozen for a year. During that time we conceived a number of other storylines, and we invite you to enjoy them along with us.
When/where do the stories post?
Sunday, 9pm EST
Wednesday, 9pm EST
Any changes to this schedule will be announced on the tumblr as soon as we know about them.
There are three different sites the stories post on:
Any prompts received will be posted to the tumblr blog before appearing on any other sites, otherwise stories are on the three sites listed above.
Order of creation of the various AUs:
- Brothers Apart– “But what if I never fixed Sam?”
- Brothers Found– “But what about JACOB?”
- Brothers Adopted– “Okay but Jacob’s too cute, let’s make him small”
- Brothers Divided– “… bad, Dean”
- Brothers Together– “OSCAR”
- Brothers Lost– “Okay we should make BOTH brothers small”
- Brothers Asunder– “Wee Sammers and Bowman as brothers!”
- Brothers Unexpected– “Because Sam/Jacob and Dean/Oscar are too cute to contain”
- Brothers Consulted– “I wonder how Sherlock and Dean would react to each other…”
- **Various unannounced ideas**
- Brothers Saved– “Big Sam and his tiny big brother strutting around”
I love the artwork! Why don’t you have more of (insert character)?
We love the art too! But since we’re writers, and our skill at actual drawing is lacking, all of the artwork you see posted here (with a few incredibly rare exceptions), are either commissioned with our own money or submitted by fans (you lovely, lovely people). We love supporting our favorite artists, so we won’t stop commissioning anytime soon, but it’s dependent on if we have money at the time we get the idea.
If you want to help us out, please Buy Me a Coffee and let us know what character or AU you want commissioned! Once we have enough money for that AU, we’ll get it done.
When does (insert story) start posting?
We’re not sure when each story goes up, we only have a timeline for the days stuff will post. To prevent any stories from gaining favoritism over others, we started running a poll. During the last week or two of a story, there will be a poll with (2) to (6) options offered, and the winner will be the story that starts next!
Keep in mind that the stories that appear in the poll will be fully written/edited and beta’d by our wonderful beta readers, any stories that are incomplete in any fashion will not be included.
The poll is run through SurveyMonkey, and each person gets only (1) vote! Duplicate votes WILL BE REMOVED.
Can you go back to posting stories about only Sam and Dean?
Seriously, we’re going to keep writing together because we do it for fun. You’ll see classic Brothers Apart stories come around when I finish them, but you’ll also get a lot of the collabs we do. We write for ourselves and to get rid of stress. Since we’re not paid to do this (in fact, we spend a decent amount of money on story things), we’ll continue to write what we like.
We still love feedback and getting new ideas from all you readers out there, so keep sending us prompts and suggestions! Just don’t be upset if we don’t do yours– we might not be feeling it.
Will Castiel be in the story?
Go read all the stories.
Why didn’t my ask get answered yet?
Generally only one ask is answered a day, please be patient with us. There are also times when @nightmares06 is unable to get to answering asks due to real life obligations. We love your questions though! Never stop sending them in.
- #commissioned art– all the artwork commissioned by the writers of the BA for the stories/ideas we have.
- #fanart– artwork done by the fans.
- #contest entry 2016– entries submitted for the 2016 BA contest
- #bac 2017 tumblr– entries submitted for the 2017 BA contest on the tumblr side (for DA entries, go here).
- #daily update– all the story excerpts posted since the beginning.
- #prompt– finished prompts (or unfinished prompts, multiple things get filed here).
- #submission– wonderful submissions from you readers! ❤ (my favorite is still the one that revealed that smol Sam and smol Dean weigh less than three crayons).
What characters belong to who?
- Supernatural characters – Sam and Dean Winchester, Bobby Singer, John Winchester (though I’ll warn that any prompts for John Win are the least likely to be fulfilled because he usually gives me writer’s block), Castiel, Gabriel, Rufus and Rumsfeld. Various other Supernatural characters.
- Original characters – Nixie, Ilyana, Celeste (problematic fave), Walt Watch, Mallory Watch, Briella Watch, Moira Wainscot, Krissy Vent, Sean, Kara Bolt, Christian Bolt, Mikael Foyer, Adriana, Noonia and Elenia.
- Original Characters – Bowman, Jacob Andris, Oscar, Rischa, Cerul, Scar, Vel, (any of the wood sprites, basically), Colfax and Adrian (better prompted at @alittleblogoftrust ), Asp the shadow sprite, Indigo Seraf.
- Only original characters, as canon characters tend to come very slowly for me.
- Sherlock Characters– Sherlock Holmes and John Watson, Greg Lestrade, Mrs. Hudson, Molly Hooper and Mycroft Holmes.
- Doctor Who Characters– Mostly Tenth Doctor, will do Nine, Eleven, and Twelve (I’m working through Classic Who at a snail’s pace xD) Willing to write for companions from New Who as well.
- Original Chracters– Zepheera is my main OC, Stan Baker, Simon Baker, Nathan Sullivan, and a bunch of borrower bbys: Kernel, Orrick Shelf, Boston Mantel, Baycliff, Klerida, Marcue Overmantle; basically, if you’ve read my stories, any of the OCs are up for grabs.
Each day on brothersapart.tumblr.com, we will be posting a new excerpt from a story we are working on at the time. This happens at 10a.m. est, and it’s a tiny blurb from the story.
Note: As of December 2018, the excerpts have slowed on posting speed, and it is uncertain if they will return to being daily.
A bit on the tags for our story excerpts:
#trnt here is the abbreviation of the story the excerpt came from– later revealed to be “The Road Not Taken”
Abbreviations we’ve used and their names if announced:
- #trnt– The Road Not Taken (posted)
- #twf– The Water’s Fine (posted)
- #tnplh– There’s No Place Like Home
- #atth– A Time to Heal
- #iatwaa– It’s a Tall World After All
- #sow– Sam of Wellwood (posted)
- #don– Dean of Nowhere (posting)
- #bofa– Bobby of Far Away
- #dow– Dean of Wellwood
- #awos– A World of Secrets
- #eotm– Epidemic of the Mannequins
- #ws– Wayward Sons
- #bah– Bigfoot’s a Hoax
- #coth– Clash of the Hunters
- #auv– An Unexpected Visitor
- #sotw– Shadows on the Wall
- #gacs– Garlic and Cold Spots (posted)
- #tsotf– The Study of the Four (posted)
- #tttb– The Ties that Bind (posted)
- #ababs– A Burglary at Baker Street
- #teome– The Enemy of my Enemy
- #jiw– Jacob in Wonderland (posted)
- #rt– Road Trip
- #a:asocs– Aftermath: A Series of Consulted Shorts
- #bp– Bittersweet Parting (posted)
- #ffh– Far From Home
- #fs– For Science
- #adod– A Day of Duality
- #bftp– Blast from the Past
- #apias– Any Port in a Storm
- #thoaw– The Heart of a Wolf
- #san– Sam and Nicholas
- #apfo– A Place for Oz
- #sb– Something Borrowed
- #ttol– The Trials of Logan
- #lald– Live and Let Die
- #aol– Avenue of Life
- #malc– M&Ms and Lucky Charms
- #afin– A Friend in Need
- #boan– Birth of a Nightmare (posted)
- #rj– Regarding Jacob